"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.”
~ Harriet Van Horne ~


Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Frittata with Peas & Mint

Frittata with peas and mint (and ricotta AND proscuitto) for breakfast. It was fast. It was fun. It was beautiful. Oh - and it was tasty. I think my kids may be tired of eggs very soon. On Friday, I stopped and got 4 dozen eggs from the 'chicken guy' down the road. An hour later, Matt texted me saying "I've got a surprise for you." He walked in the door with 3 dozen more farm fresh eggs. I love farm fresh eggs. I can't complain. I will hone my omelette and frittata making skills this week.
For a good frittata, basically all you need is 5 eggs. Turn on your broiler. Heat up an ovenproof 10 inch skillet on the stovetop. Put in a good 2 Tbs. of butter. As soon as the butter foams, pour the beaten eggs (along with your additions -- salt & pepper, veggies (cooked to al dente), cheese, etc. -- into the pan. Turn the heat to low and wait until only the surface is still runny. Place it under the broiler until it is just cooked -- not browned. There you have it. Slip it out onto a plate and add a pretty garnish. You may eat it warm or bring it to room temperature. We eat this for a light dinner with crusty bread/toast and a green salad on the side. Add whatever you like; in this way, it is a lot like risotto. Start with a good 'base' (eggs) and embellish with the flavors of the season (or whatever you have in your fridge at the moment).

No comments:

Post a Comment